Unlocking the potential of course assessment
In an era that demands greater accountability from teachers and stresses the importance of students' engagement in their own learning, course assessments hold the potential to have a positive and lasting impact in our schools. To do so, course assessments must be reenvisioned so they capture the real issues that impact student learning.
The goal of any educational system is for students to live up to their potential and move toward a hopeful future. To reach this goal, our teaching and learning environment must promote students' self-worth, ensure students are meaningfully engaged, and affirm that the information students are learning is both rigorous and relevant.
The iKnow My Class course assessment is designed to assess and address the conditions that inspire students to reach their fullest potential. It provides valuable information and formative assessment, which research acknowledges is essential for student growth and learning, to individual classroom teachers.
iKnow My Class is an online instrument for students in Grades 3-5 (27 question survey) and Grades 6-12 (two versions: short version has 20 questions, long version has 50 questions). The survey is anonymous and teachers receive results in real time. iKnow My Class allows for ongoing, formative assessment of student perceptions and engagement and allows teachers to make necessary midcourse adjustments. Teachers are encouraged to enhance the assessment by adding their own questions.
Next Practices is a new resource designed to enhance the teaching and learning environment. This online tool, available at no additional charge to all registered users, is designed to support student engagement in the classroom by providing suggestions and resources related to each question on the survey. Teachers can readily access Next Practices as they reflect on their survey results and use the resource to focus on areas in need of improvement and/or maintain areas noted as strengths.
Scale Validation of the iKnow My Class Suivey is a technical report of the validation process for the use of this survey as a measurement tool to operationalize selected constructs of and related to the Student Engagement Trust Model.
How to get started
Log in to the secure site. Or if you don't have an account: $250 per school registration fee, plus $1.50 per student (based on total number of students in school).
- Each teacher subsequently registers individual classes/courses.
- Teachers may administer the assessment to students as many times during the school year as they would like.
- Teachers receive results in real time.
The surveys are currently available in the US, Canada, and the UK, with additional taxes charged as needed based on your location. Please inquire about service in other territories.
Register Your School
Surveys can be administered on smart phones and tablets!
- Easy to use online instrument for course assessment
- Serves as a formative assessment
- Two versions: 20 or 50 questions
- Only takes 5 or 10 minutes to complete
- For Grades 6-12
- For Grades 3-5 (27 questions)
- Survey is anonymous
- Results viewable in real time
- Results disaggregated by key demographics
- I come to class ready and willing to learn.
- I see how this class relates to my other classes.
- This class challenges my thinking.
- The teacher knows my hopes and dreams.
- The teacher presents lessons in ways I understand.
- I am encouraged to use my imagination.